November 14, 2023 8:00 AM
Oktibbeha County Lake Dam Public Meeting
PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE
Oktibbeha Lake Dam
Mississippi Soil and Water Conservation Commission (MSWCC) and Oktibbeha County Board of Supervisors will conduct the following public scoping meeting:
• Tuesday, December 12, 2023, at 6:00 PM Central Time
The meeting will be held at the following location:
Oktibbeha County Community Safe Room
985 Lynn Lane
Starkville, MS 39759
Representatives from the Mississippi Soil and Water Conservation Commission, Oktibbeha County and the United States Department of Agriculture – Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will lead the public meeting to seek input regarding a Watershed Plan and Environmental Assessment (Plan-EA) for the potential improvements to the Oktibbeha Lake Dam in Oktibbeha County, MS. Due to the current and potential future development downstream, this dam has been reclassified as a high hazard dam. Due to the reclassification of this dam, it must be evaluated to meet current criteria. The NRCS is preparing a watershed plan which will consider alternatives such as decommissioning, nonstructural, and structural (rehabilitation) measures to reduce flood damages to cropland, homes, and roadways.
As part of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process, the NRCS invites you to participate as a stakeholder in this process. We request your participation, opinion, and/or suggestions early in the process, and ask that your response is received within a 30-day period after this meeting.
The objectives of the public scoping meeting include, but are not limited to:
1. Ensure that the general public; private groups; and local, county, and state government agencies are thoroughly familiar with the project.
2. Promote an atmosphere of extra-agency cooperation.
3. Provide a forum for the reception and consideration of public input regarding the project.
4. Clarify the effects of the diverse alternatives under consideration.
5. Collect existing resource data for the project area from agencies and citizens.
6. Incorporate written and verbal comments into the decision-making process.
Individuals requiring additional information, or those who need special accommodations to attend the public scoping meeting should contact Mr. Marvel Howard, Oktibbeha County Board of Supervisors, District 3, 211 E. Government St., Suite A, Starkville, Mississippi, 39759, MHoward@gtpdd.com